Welcome back for Day 7 of the Sweet Shoppe Quilt-Along! Today we're making peppermint blocks!
These blocks are actually just like the minty fresh blocks that we made on Day 5, but they're red and white and spinning in the opposite direction. We're also making twice as many as we did on Day 5, but because it's the weekend, we've got an extra day to get them done. Ready? Here we go!
You'll need to gather:
2 red print #1 5" x 5" squares
2 red print #2 5" x 5" squares
2 red print #3 5" x 5" squares
6 white 5" x 5" squares
48 white 1½" x 1½" squares
To make your Peppermint blocks:
1. On the wrong side of a white 5" x 5" square, use a pencil to lightly draw 2 diagonal lines a scant ¼" from each true diagonal of the square as follows.
2. Layer a marked white 5" square atop a red print 5" square with right sides together.
3. Stitch the pair together exactly on the drawn lines. Press to set seams.
4. Use a rotary cutter to cut the unit in half vertically and horizontally and in between the seams to make 8 half-square-triangle units.
5. Press the seam allowances toward the red print.
6. Trim the HST units to measure 2" x 2" unfinished.
7. Lay out 4 matching HSTs in 2 rows of 2 each as follows:
8. Join together the pieces in each row. Press the seam allowances toward the red print.
9. Join the rows together to make a Pinwheel block that measures 3½" x 3½ unfinished. Fan seam allowances open in back, pressing toward the red print, to reduce bulk at the center of the block. Press.
10. Repeat to make 12 Pinwheel blocks, 4 from each red print.
11. On the wrong side of the 48 white 1½" x 1½" squares, draw a diagonal line from corner to corner.
12. Layer a marked white 1½" square atop one corner of a Pinwheel block with right sides together. Stitch the pair together along the drawn line.
13. Press open toward the white and trim seam allowances to ¼".
14. Repeat with remaining 3 corners to make a Peppermint block measuring 3½" x 3½" unfinished.
15. Repeat to make 12 Peppermint blocks, 4 from each red print.
I hope you have fun making these little blocks over the weekend. I'll be back here again on Monday for Day 8 with a new block that couldn't be sweeter!