Thursday, June 11, 2015

Christmas Baubles Quilt

What a gorgeous day here in New Hampshire!  It's so sunny and blissfully warm that Christmas seems a long way off, but I suppose it's never too early to at least start thinking about your Christmas quilting projects.

If you're looking for a fun and easy project (or an excuse to buy some Christmas fabrics!), try my Christmas Baubles quilt!  It's my latest recipe for the Moda Bake Shop and the free tutorial is featured at the Bake Shop today.


I have to say, I really love this sweet little project!  The combination of miniature Christmas ornament blocks and Kate Spain's colorful and cheerful "Jingle" fabrics just makes me happy.

Christmas Baubles is a very easy project.  It's perfect for a beginner and definitely doable in a weekend.  To make the quilt, you'll only need a single mini charm pack of Christmas fabric -- and Moda has some really gorgeous Christmas fabrics coming out this summer -- 2/3 yard of a background fabric, a scrap of gray fabric, and a yard of backing/binding fabric.  Once you have all of your ornament blocks made, the quilt comes together very quickly.  


I wanted this project to be fast and something that any quilter could finish at home, from soup to nuts, so I decided to try to quilt it on my regular old sewing machine.  I used a ruler and a vanishing marking pen to mark a tree shape that outlines the ornament blocks.  After stitching the tree, I then marked and stitched vertical lines in the background of the quilt.  The quilting went pretty quickly and I couldn't be happier with the results!  Just don't forget to be sure that the marking pen you choose comes out of your background fabric before you mark your quilt!!

So there you have it, a little taste of Christmas in June.  I hope Christmas Baubles fills you with inspiration, not anxiety.  And just in case you're wondering, there are 196 days until Christmas.  Plenty of time!!