Wednesday, December 24, 2014

In Search of Christmas Spirit - Day 23

Day 23 - Christmas Mass

Today's is my last post before Christmas.  The Advent tree is decorated and later tonight will be topped with its star.  The house is full of secrets.  My husband is being stealthy in the basement and the kids are upstairs wrapping their presents and starting to get excited.  The dog is not quite sure what is going on, so she's in her "I need comfort spot" on the couch.  Feels like Christmas.

This evening we'll go to the children's mass at out local church -- hand's down my favorite part of Christmas.  We've taken the kids to that mass since they were little because the children put on a Christmas pageant.  They are too old to participate now, but over the years our kids have been shepherds, sheep, angels, wise men, and once, my daughter was Mary.

And although they aren't in the pageant any longer, and the church is packed for that particular mass, we still love to go.  The music is familiar and lovely, the beautifully decorated church smells of incense and is full of kids dressed in their Christmas best.  The excitement is palpable.  It never fails to fill me with the spirit of Christmas.

Before I go, I'd like to thank you, my readers, for accompanying me on my quest for Christmas spirit.  There have been some low points along the way like on-line shopping, late nights spent sewing binding and wrapping, and of course, my ongoing troubles with Christmas lights.  But there have been many more high points, such as shopping with my kids, spending time with friends and family, lots of baking and lots of egg nog.  Christmas can be a lot of work, but like anything else, the holidays are what you make of them.  And a few burnt out bulbs, shipping anxiety and long lines seem small in comparison to the joy of the season.

In the beginning of this journey I posed the question, "is it possible to re-peak?"  My answer?  A resounding "Yes!"  Christmas spirit found!

My warmest wishes to you all for a wonderful, joyful, and peaceful holiday!

Jen