Wednesday, December 17, 2014

In Search of Christmas Spirit - Day 16


Day 16:  Handmade Gifts


Shhh... Today I worked some more on my handmade gifts and I have to say, I think making gifts may be one of my favorite Christmassy things to do.  And given the calm state I'm in tonight, I'd say it's definitely better for my soul than on-line shopping.

I still can't disclose what I'm working on, but here are some more gifts from Christmases past that may inspire you to make gifts of your own!


Here's a quilt I made for my sister a few years ago because she loves snowmen. This cute pattern from MH Designs is called "Winter Snowmen."






That same year, I made this quilt for my mom.  Also by MH Designs, it's called "Carolers."




















And a couple of years ago, I made "Slim the Snowman" quilts for both my mom and sister.  This pattern was designed by Rhonda McCray of Farmhouse Threads and was featured in the Winter 2012 issue of Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine.  I've been meaning to make one of these adorable snowmen for myself.  Maybe next year...











My sister made this quilt for me for Christmas a few years ago and it's her original design.  Pretty isn't it!


And she made this one for me several years ago.  It wasn't actually a Christmas present, but I wanted to include it to show how beautiful her appliqué is.  This quilt was based on the "Homecoming Wreath" pattern in the book Little Quilts by Alice Berg, Mary Ellen Von Holt, and Sylvia Johnson.


My mom made this beautiful cathedral window pillow for me a couple of years ago:


And she made this sweet mini quilt for me the year before that:



Not to be left out, my daughter has also sewn a couple of beautiful gifts that she designed by herself.  First up is her manger pillow.  She made this one when she was 9 or 10:


And she made this adorable snowman quilt two years ago.  I just love the holly leaves and berries on the snowmen's hats:


Finally, here's a gift that my sister-in-law Leisa, an amazing artist, sent to me just the other day.  Isn't he handsome in his scarf!?


I'm surrounded by talented and generous women.  Thinking about them and creating for them today is just what I needed to increase my Christmas spirit and, for that matter, my gratitude.