Wednesday, October 16, 2013

October Walk

It never fails.  I grab Casey and leave the house one way -- tense, frowning down at the ground, mind racing with worries about kids and schedules and to do lists.  45 minutes and 3 miles later I return a different person -- calm, face relaxed, looking up at my surroundings and, above all, grateful.

And because I'm still pleasantly warm and enjoying the slightly intoxicating after effects of a bit of exercise, I'd like to share my favorite things about an October walk.

-  Crisp, fragrant air.

-  Casey kicking up her heels, ears flopping as she chases busy squirrels.

-  The sound of dry leaves crunching underfoot.

-  The brilliant color of reds, rusts, and golds against a backdrop of gray-brown earth and tree trunks.

-  No bugs!  If you've ever walked in a New England forest in the summer, you'll appreciate this one.

-  Casey smiling up at me, wearing a silly orange vest that makes her look like a canine superhero.

-  The bright, airy quality of the forest without its leaves.

-  The feel of a cool breeze on my face.

-  The smell of wood smoke on the air.

-  Knowing that our home will be warm and cozy when I return.



"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."  -- L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables