Monday, November 21, 2011

Give Thanks

The countdown to Thanksgiving has begun and like many of you I'm expecting a houseful for dinner.  That means only 3 days to clean my house, redecorate a room or two, and prepare myself emotionally for the big day.  Clearly today is a good day for a short post.  But for once I planned ahead and for the month of November, and in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I've been making note of some small moments/things in my life for which I'm grateful.  Here are some of the highlights...

  • Listening to my two sons singing "Moves Like Jagger" in the kitchen every morning while they get ready for school.
  • The unbelievably cute turkey that my daughter crocheted for me (without a pattern!).

    Mr. Gobbles
  • Encountering my neighbor who had esophageal cancer and having him remark to me, "Looks like I may be one of the lucky ones."
  • Walking downstairs after tucking my youngest into bed and hearing him say "goodnight Jaws" to his fish.
  • Drinking my cup of tea every morning with my oldest son snuggled up against me on the couch.
  • Having my teenage daughter inform me that she suffers from "chronic happiness."
  • That my 3-year-old nephew finally ended his week long hunger strike -- and that my sister survived it!
  • Dunkin Donuts pumpkin muffins.
  • Walking through the woods with my daughter and listening to her plans for the future, including:  designing portable water purifiers, going on a cruise, and becoming a "Mythbuster."
  • Discovering that my 11-year-old son had created a suggestion box thinking he could actually change the way my husband and I parent him.

  • Stepping out from a nice, hot shower to find that my youngest son had written "Brian was here" on the fogged up window.
  • Having my rock-solid husband reassure me that he is "sound as a pound."
  • Living close enough to Keepsake Quilting that my mom and I were able to drive there today (yes, we may have listened to Christmas music) and load up on fabric, even though I should have been dusting, painting, baking, mopping, etc.  Priorities!!

So there it is, a glimpse into my small but very rich life.  It's amazing how quickly my list grew once I started paying attention -- I do believe there's a lesson in there!

Happy Thanksgiving!